E-M:/ The Death of Paul Shutt of MDEQ Air Division

After a visit to MSU's Baker Woodlot with the beauty of the
trillium on a Michigan spring evening, tonight's
email messages brings the sad news
of the sudden passing of Paul Shutt.   Paul was the long time head of
the Air Quality Evaluation Section of the MDEQ Air Quality
Division and one of the pillars of that organization.

I personally knew Paul as a very dedicated, highly knowledgeable
public servant.   He had a real talent for drawing in and
mentoring a lot of bright and enthusiastic folks in his section
who work on air quality modeling, planning, monitoring and
other technical services.

....And you just could not find a more friendly, personable
individual than Paul who gave freely of his time and who
treated everyone he met with respect.   Paul was also
one of those people who you just knew had a real sense
of inner peace, humility, contentment and satisfaction with his
place in life.

Paul helped write a lot of the modern history of air pollution
control in Michigan.    You and I have lived a better
quality of life in this state because of Paul Shutt's efforts on
behalf of Michigan's air.

He will be sorely missed by all of his friends and colleagues.

The passing of a contemporary like Paul reminds me also of the
need for all us in leadership positions on environmental protection
and conservation, in whatever organization we're in, to rededicate
ourselves to the generational passage of the values we all cherish
in protecting the resources of our state to our younger and less
experienced colleagues, volunteers and workers.  Let us remember Paul by
cherishing
the beauty and natural resources of our Great Lakes state and
mentoring all of those we can influence in protection and conservation values.

Services for Paul will be held tomorrow, Thursday, April 26.
The latest news I have from the State Journal is that
visitation will be at 1-2 PM and the funeral will be at 2-3 PM
at the Presbyterian Church of Okemos, 2258 Bennett Road,
Okemos.

Cards to the family can be sent to

Irene Shutt
3580 W Hiawatha
Okemos, MI 48864

There is talk of establishing a scholarship fund in Paul's memory
through  the Air and Waste Management
Association.   For more information on this, contact Rick Johns
at johnsr@state.mi.us

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)