Re: E-M:/ river otters and trappers

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

I know there have been several otter sightings in the Bear Creek area.
Bonnie Shupe

>>> "thornapple river" <thornapple@hotmail.com> 04/27/00 12:11AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "thornapple river" <thornapple@hotmail.com>

Considering the likely fragile status of river otters in Michigan, I am
curious as to the laws/rules for trappers and hunters concerning this
species.  I have never seen an otter in the wild, but in February of this
year, someone trapped one in Caledonia Township in Kent County.  And the
gentleman was mighty proud of it, even sent his picture in to the paper with
his labrador retriever puppy at his side, the otter hanging from the leghold
trap.  I was horrified.  So what are the rules? Anybody know? And anybody
know anything about the population size of river otters in Michigan, and
distribution? I have only been able to find general information about river
otters, and nothing specific to Michigan or Kent County.

Patricia Pennell