Re: E-M:/ Fires in Wetlands a concern too!

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@biology.lsa.umich.edu>

Anne is absolutely right; peat fires are a serious danger.  Last year,
part of the raised bog in the Minden State Game Area in the Thumb caught
fire.  The DNR had to call in a private firm that specializes in peat
fires; this firm brought in special high-pressure hoses and had to
excavate sections of the burn to force water into smoldering subsurface
peat.  I don't know how much all this cost, but ultimately it came out of
the pockets of MIchigan taxpayers.  So people can save themselves money in
addition to saving rare habitat types by being extremely careful about all
types of fire.

	--Barb Madsen