Re: E-M:/ diary farm

Grant:

The issues here are not that all farming is bad, not by any means! Like
many pollution issues the scale and intensity of the activity are the
concern.  There is not just a quantitative difference between a 100 head
traditional dairy operation and a 1000 head confined animal feeding dairy
operation, there is often a significant qualitative difference.

The concerns that have been raised about facilities across the state are
aimed at those the EPA has deemed as large enough scale to require NPDES
permits (750 dairy cows, 1000 beef cattle, 2500 hogs, etc) in confined
feeding situations where the animals never leave the building, the waste is
collected in slurries in lagoons for future disposal on fields, and the
amount of waste produced is equivalent to that of a town of 5,000 to 7,500
people.

The efforts underway by groups to get the state of Michigan to comply with
what is being required everywhere else in the country is oriented to
bringing these massive livestock factories under control.  Perhaps the most
telling indication that this is NOT about people being anti-farmer is that
MANY of those who are fighting these facilities are farm families
themselves, people who have grown up on working farms, and many who
currently are farming.  The myth perpetrated that those who don't like
these facilities are city folks who don't like the normal smells of
traditional agriculture falls entirely apart when you look at who is
fighting these facilities.

Anne Woiwode

***********
from Grant Trigger:

I grew up on a farm and milked cows for years (in the 60s) as a result I am
 concerned that we not cast a broad negative blanket over all farming - it is
very difficult to make a living (although very rewarding in other ways).  Too
many farms have been simply bowled over by development and encroaching housing
- so I begin with the premise that anyone who lives in a farming community had
better accept the good with the bad (at least to some).  If a farm is using
best agricultural management practices what would you have them do move out?
Whose rights are more important?

>>> "Chester Willemstyn" <chesterwillemstyn@hotmail.com> 04/27 7:46 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Chester Willemstyn" <chesterwillemstyn@hotmail.com>

   We lost again!! The Z.B.A.in Gangs township ruled against us at the
meeting last night so now we have a real fight on our hands. It is time we
all stood up and put a stop to Industrial farming. This is a sad day for all
of us who live in and around this project. I will never be able to just sit
on my deck and enjoy the great outdoors or grill out due to the odor of
living 300ft. a way from 6 to 12 million gallons of cow manurer. But the
Fight is not over we plan on going to court and fight this to the end.