Re: E-M:/ diary farm

Enviro-Mich message from Terry Lodge <tjlodge50@yahoo.com>

   Additionally, Grant, there are new public health
and animal cruelty issues surfacing with industrial
livestock farming -- things about which family farmers
are traditionally more conscientious. For example,
there is growing medical concern about the excessive
use of antibiotics on livestock raised intensively in
CAFOs, which is undermining the viability of those
medicines to fight disease in human beings. CAFOs
often generate extraordinarily unhealthy conditions
for the animals themselves. Industrial farming
techniques cause environmental squalor, have grave
public health implications, and expand animal cruelty
-- even as they destroy smaller-scale competitors
which use more positive, ecological and/or healthy
practices.