E-M:/ RE: / farm tax legislation

Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Irwin <lcvefmi@worldnet.att.net>

Hello,

The worry at SEMCOG, holding back support from their staff and advocates,
is that a tax break for agricultural land will simply be a tax shelter for
land speculators.  Without assurances build into this tax scheme there will
be no accountability to assure that local units will not be losing tax
revenue while speculators keep rural land in holding patterns.

Hopefully, environmentalists, SEMCOG, the MTA and others will succeed in
molding this significant legislation into something that will ensure that
agricultural tax breaks are preserved for agricultural uses.  One idea that
SEMCOG is floating around is that when ag land is converted from this new
tax shelter and into development, the property tax breaks will have to be
paid back to the local units forfeiting them under this plan.  Notice the
typical tactics of the current administration:  win favor by offering local
unit revenue as a tax break from Lansing, borrow from the future
generations for today's expenditures, shove more responsibility for
enforcement and implementation to the local units . . . .

Jeff Irwin
League of Conservation Voters Education Fund
208 1/2 S. Fourth Ave.
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
(734) 327-7154