E-M:/ Fw: timber cycle

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard H. and Elsie Freye
To: tcarlson@freeway.net
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 1:02 PM
Subject: timber cycle

I'm not knowledgeable about forest management, but the argument that "timber is a crop like corn or alfalfa , only with a longer cycle" isn't born out by even casual observation. (1) Unless we're referring to tree farms, which are not forests, the timber was not planted & cultivated on privately owned land at the owner's expense. (2) Don't expect rotation.  In western Michigan only vestiges of the forests of 100 years ago remain. Today as protective wooded shoreline dunes are stripped of trees and "mined" for sand, the levelled denuded land becomes "developed". There's quicker money there!