E-M:/ (Fwd) DNR LAW ENFORCEMENT CHIEF TO RETIRE

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <ritaj@flint.umich.edu>

Date sent:      	Fri, 19 May 2000 08:31:35 -0400
Send reply to:  	Department of Natural Resources publications list
             	<DNRWIRE@LISTSERV.STATE.MI.US>
From:           	Julee Hasbany <hasbanyj@STATE.MI.US>
Subject:        	DNR LAW ENFORCEMENT CHIEF TO RETIRE
To:             	DNRWIRE@LISTSERV.STATE.MI.US

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 19 MAY 00
CONTACTS: Herb Burns, 517-373-1230
Guy Gordon, 517-373-2329

DNR LAW ENFORCEMENT CHIEF TO RETIRE

LANSING--Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Law
Enforcement Chief Herbert Burns announced today his decision
to retire, effective June 30, 2000.  Burns' 34-year career
in state government began as a Conservation Officer in 1966
in the Department of Conservation.
Burns was appointed Area Law Supervisor in the Grand Rapids
District in 1970 with enforcement responsibilities in
Muskegon and Ottawa Counties, subsequently transferring to a
District Law Supervisor position in the Cadillac District.
In 1984 he was named Assistant Law Enforcement Chief,
supervising and coordinating field operations, staff
enforcement operations, research, tort investigations and
training.  He was appointed Law Enforcement Chief in 1985.
In announcing his decision, Burns said, "There can be no
greater goal or reward for people with dual interests in
conservation management and law enforcement than to serve as
a Michigan Conservation Officer.  It has been an honor and a
privilege to be associated with the best-trained, best-
equipped and most professional conservation law enforcement
officers in the country.  I'm immensely proud of these
people, their dedication and their contributions to the
DNR's conservation mission.  Most of all, I'm proud to have
been an employee of the Michigan Department of Natural
Resources.  As I move from one phase of my life to another,
I am more confident than ever that the DNR remains true to
its conservation and public service commitment."
In accepting Chief Burns' resignation, DNR Director K. L.
Cool said, " I have enjoyed working with Herb and, together,
embracing the change to new technologies that will improve
communications, safety and evidence retrieval capabilities
of our officers.   Chief Burns distinguished himself
throughout his years of public service.  His honor and
integrity are a model for all employees. Everyone who cares
deeply about our natural resources owes a debt of gratitude
to Herb Burns for his outstanding leadership in helping to
protect the natural resources that make Michigan like no
other place on earth."
Captain Richard Asher will serve as acting Law Enforcement
Chief, effective July 1, 2000.

###

To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail
message from your own e-mail address to
listserv@listserv.cnoc.state.mi.us with this in the body of
your message:
     signoff dnrwire
To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your
own e-mail address to listserv@cnoc.state.mi.us
with this in the body of your message:
     subscribe dnrwire your name   (Use an alias, if you
prefer.)
There's also an electronic form on the DNR home page at
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/dept/listsubs.htm