E-M:/ lobbies try to gut federal lead regulations

Incredibly, in the same week that new studies suggest lead is a hazard to children at levels one-quarter the current federal threshold, landlords' organizations and the U.S. Conference of Mayros are mounting a fierce attack on a new federal rule that would protect children from peeling lead-based paint and dust hazards.  The rule, promulgated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, would apply to all housing receiving federal funds.

Michigan U.S. Representative Joe Knollenberg is on one of the key authorizing committees that will consider the amendment to gut the HUD rule in the next few weeks.  He would benefit through contacts from concerned Michigan citizens. He can be contacted by e-mail at:  Rep.Knollenberg@mail.house.gov. His fax is:  (202) 226-2356. MEC has joined forces with lead advocates across the country to support the new rule.

In a press release issued today by the Alliance to End Childhood Lead Poisoning, Margaret Sauser of Paw Paw, a mother of two lead-poisoned children, blasts the 11th-hour attack on the HUD rule.

"Last year the Senate gave us National Lead Poisoning Prevention Week; this year the Clinton Administration gave us a new federal strategy," said Sauser, President of United Parents Against Lead. "What we really need is action now to protect the children still at risk. We can’t wait any longer. Congress should not even consider delaying these safeguards for our children."

For more information on the issue, contact MEC or view the AECLP web site at:

http://www.aeclp.org/5/hudregs2.html