From: andrea kline <klineoff@mich.com>
To: Jennie Breuninger <breuninger@fbwebmaster.com>; Laura Rubin <lrubin@hrwc.org>
Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Date: Thursday, May 25, 2000 4:18 AM
Subject: Re: SG-W:/ Maunfactured Housing

We are currently fighting a 750-unit mobile home park development in
Stockbridge Township.  The township board, feeling powerless to do anything
to protect their constituents, has signed a consent agreement that basically
strips them of any ability to contest the development (and pays the developers legal fees to boot) .  The developer is in
the process of trying to get permits for their sewage treatment plant and
water supply system from the MDEQ.  Once these permits are in hand, there is
nothing stopping the development of a project that will increase the
population of the township by over 60%, increase the traffic on Shepper Road
from 540 to 6,000 vehicles per day, etc., all in exchange for a development
in which the occupants will be paying $36 per year in taxes.  In other
words, there will be significant adverse impacts on all residents of the
Township and Stockbridge school district.

The MDEQ originally issued a draft NPDES permit allowing discharge of 0.5
mg/l of phosphorus to Portage Creek, the largest tributary of the Huron
River.  After the public raised concerns about the impacts of the discharge
on water quality, the MDEQ actually did some water sampling (the original
draft permit conditions were not based on any empirical water quality data)
and found that conditions in the creek and downstream lakes were highly
eutrophic.  Based on this information, they reduced the phosphorus limits in
the draft permit to 0.036 mg/l, which we have been told in nearly impossible
to achieve with existing technology.  It is amazing how understanding
existing conditions can influence these decisions, and it is amazing that it
takes public pressure to force the agency charged with protecting the public
interest to take the impacts of such a discharge into account when reviewing
permit applications.  But that is another topic.

Anyway, the current status is that both the MDEQ and developer have taken
additional water samples and the MDEQ is mulling over the possiblity of
revising the phosphorus limits to 0.1 mg/l.  If a permit is issued, we have
the option to contest the decision in court.  We have standing due to the
fact that we submitted comment during the public comment period.  The Huron
River Watershed Council has been providing technical support but we have not
yet discussed what role they may be willing provide if a permit is issued
and we decide to go to court.  Does your organization provide legal support
in cases like this?  Do you know of any attorneys that you would recommend?
Are you involved in any efforts to change our currently screwed-up mobile
home regulations?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andrea Kline