In the Grattan situation, Landon is proposing a 800 unit mobile home park on 200 acres in an area near the headwaters of the Bear Creek Watershed.  There is no sewer system hook-up available there.  I shudder to think of what could happen if this goes in there.  Not to mention the impact on Rockford Schools, a system that is already growing so fast that most schools have had additions, portable classrooms, and new schools (2  in Cannon Township over the last year).

We definitely have to change something to take away the power this industry has in our state.
Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator

>>> "Jennie Breuninger" <breuninger@fbwebmaster.com> 05/25/00 12:40PM >>>
Dear Andrea,
Thanks for your message.  I am aware of the Stockbridge "battle" as I have run into S. DeRoo at meetings re:Mobile Home Parks, I also have e-mail G.Winn dealing with this matter.  I am unfortunately not an organization, but I think we could try to get some groups working together to change this.  Has Stockbridge contacted your representatives yet? I am sure the residents in your community make up a fairly good sized constituency, nagging your rep. can help.  And calling Scranton, and Garcia with your situation may help to keep their efforts going.
  One of the things that is in your favor is the water issue.There is a state-wide effort being made to clean up the poor conditions of our rivers and tributaries, I'm sure the watershed groups have information is to what those goals are. (Any watershed folks can jump into this conversation and clue us in).
With respect to legal assistance the Michigan Land Use Institute has 2 lawyers that help them with land use cases here's their website www.MLUI.com e-mail them, they will get back to you promptly with the info.
They also put out a quarterly magazine "The Great Lakes Bulletin", I think this problem would make a great article for one of their issues ( any MLUI people reading this...what do you say?).
How much acreage has been rezoned from agriculture to MH?
I am attempting to find out approximately how much farmland is lost to this particular type of development.
In Lima we will lose 136 acres to MH.
In yesterdays Detroit News there was an article about Tyrone Township being sued by a mobile home developer (the evil Mr.Landon) for $2 million.  They will lose 148 acres of farmland to house a 642 unit park.
So we have a running tally so far of ... 284 acres of farmland.
Anyone else out there losing farmland to a mobile home park let me know how many acres.
Lets work together on this, we have got enough people on the short end of the stick to have things continue.
Jennie

    -----Original Message-----
    From: andrea kline <klineoff@mich.com>
    To: Jennie Breuninger <breuninger@fbwebmaster.com>; Laura Rubin <lrubin@hrwc.org>
    Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
    Date: Thursday, May 25, 2000 4:18 AM
    Subject: Re: SG-W:/ Maunfactured Housing

    We are currently fighting a 750-unit mobile home park development in
    Stockbridge Township.  The township board, feeling powerless to do anything
    to protect their constituents, has signed a consent agreement that basically
    strips them of any ability to contest the development (and pays the developers legal fees to boot) .  The developer is in
    the process of trying to get permits for their sewage treatment plant and
    water supply system from the MDEQ.  Once these permits are in hand, there is
    nothing stopping the development of a project that will increase the
    population of the township by over 60%, increase the traffic on Shepper Road
    from 540 to 6,000 vehicles per day, etc., all in exchange for a development
    in which the occupants will be paying $36 per year in taxes.  In other
    words, there will be significant adverse impacts on all residents of the
    Township and Stockbridge school district.

    The MDEQ originally issued a draft NPDES permit allowing discharge of 0.5
    mg/l of phosphorus to Portage Creek, the largest tributary of the Huron
    River.  After the public raised concerns about the impacts of the discharge
    on water quality, the MDEQ actually did some water sampling (the original
    draft permit conditions were not based on any empirical water quality data)
    and found that conditions in the creek and downstream lakes were highly
    eutrophic.  Based on this information, they reduced the phosphorus limits in
    the draft permit to 0.036 mg/l, which we have been told in nearly impossible
    to achieve with existing technology.  It is amazing how understanding
    existing conditions can influence these decisions, and it is amazing that it
    takes public pressure to force the agency charged with protecting the public
    interest to take the impacts of such a discharge into account when reviewing
    permit applications.  But that is another topic.

    Anyway, the current status is that both the MDEQ and developer have taken
    additional water samples and the MDEQ is mulling over the possiblity of
    revising the phosphorus limits to 0.1 mg/l.  If a permit is issued, we have
    the option to contest the decision in court.  We have standing due to the
    fact that we submitted comment during the public comment period.  The Huron
    River Watershed Council has been providing technical support but we have not
    yet discussed what role they may be willing provide if a permit is issued
    and we decide to go to court.  Does your organization provide legal support
    in cases like this?  Do you know of any attorneys that you would recommend?
    Are you involved in any efforts to change our currently screwed-up mobile
    home regulations?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Andrea Kline