Re: E-M:/ Re: SG-W:/ Maunfactured Housing

Enviro-Mich message from "Andrew I. Mutch" <amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us>

Bonnie,

Landon is notorious for the bully tactics with rural township and MH
parks.  They had the audacity to try to force a MH park in Superior
Township adjacent to the properties that the Southeast Michigan Land
Conservancy and Superior Township had preserved in the heart of the
Township.  Of course, the location had no water or sewer service but why
should that matter??  Last I heard, Superior had successfully fought off
Landon but I think they've been the exception.

The big problem is that many of the rural townships do not have the legal
resources or advice to fight these developers.  Unfortunately, there has
been a myth created among municipal attorneys that the Michigan courts
always side with the MH developers - NOT TRUE!  However, facing this
advice, too many townships simply give in to the MH developers.  Even when
they wish to fight, they often don't have the $$ to fight the protracted
court battles.  They can't afford to raise taxes or cut essential services
even though the long-term cost of giving-in is even higher.

Unless a township is deliberately excluding MH development, they have a
decent chance in the courts.  The courts have recognized the impact of MH
development and have sided with townships and against the developers when
the townships can show that the proposed site is inappropriate.  However,
townships need to be sure that they are providing locations for this kind
of development -- areas with water and sewer service and access to paved
roads -- typically near incorporated villages and cities.  This forces
township Boards and planners to make hard decisions about siting these
developments but better that they make that decision than the courts
making it for them!!  Also, townships should ensure that in their siting
locations, they limit the size of these potential parks.  Don't rezone 200
acres of land for MH development if you do not want an 800 unit park.
Instead, target smaller parcels of land that provide a more manageable
size development.  Also, explore alternatives to providing affordable
housing like small-lot clusters and neo-traditional village plats.  MH's
are not the only affordable housing options.

Also, townships that want to claim that they are protecting agricultural
areas need to be serious in their efforts to do so!  One township
successfully fought off a MH development because they were able to show
through their Master Plan and zoning that they were legitimately trying to
preserve an area for agricultural use.  If a township tries to claim that
a MH park is locating in an agricultural area but the township itself has
made no efforts to preserve agricultural land uses or the township is
allowing sprawling residential development, the courts are not going to
look favorably on their argument.

Andrew Mutch
Novi

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Bonnie Shupe wrote:

> [...]
>
> In the Grattan situation, Landon is proposing a 800 unit mobile home park on 200 acres in an area near the headwaters of the Bear Creek Watershed.  There is no sewer system hook-up available there.  I shudder to think of what could happen if this goes in there.  Not to mention the impact on Rockford Schools, a system that is already growing so fast that most schools have had additions, portable classrooms, and new schools (2  in Cannon Township over the last year).
>
> We definitely have to change something to take away the power this industry has in our state.
> Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator

> Dear Andrea,
> Thanks for your message.  I am aware of the Stockbridge "battle" as I have run into S. DeRoo at meetings re:Mobile Home Parks, I also have e-mail G.Winn dealing with this matter.  I am unfortunately not an organization, but I think we could try to get some groups working together to change this.  Has Stockbridge contacted your representatives yet? I am sure the residents in your community make up a fairly good sized constituency, nagging your rep. can help.  And calling Scranton, and Garcia with your situation may help to keep their efforts going.
>   One of the things that is in your favor is the water issue.There is a state-wide effort being made to clean up the poor conditions of our rivers and tributaries, I'm sure the watershed groups have information is to what those goals are. (Any watershed folks can jump into this conversation and clue us in).
> With respect to legal assistance the Michigan Land Use Institute has 2 lawyers that help them with land use cases here's their website www.MLUI.com e-mail them, they will get back to you promptly with the info.
> They also put out a quarterly magazine "The Great Lakes Bulletin", I think this problem would make a great article for one of their issues ( any MLUI people reading this...what do you say?).
> How much acreage has been rezoned from agriculture to MH?
> I am attempting to find out approximately how much farmland is lost to this particular type of development.
> In Lima we will lose 136 acres to MH.
> In yesterdays Detroit News there was an article about Tyrone Township being sued by a mobile home developer (the evil Mr.Landon) for $2 million.  They will lose 148 acres of farmland to house a 642 unit park.
> So we have a running tally so far of ... 284 acres of farmland.
> Anyone else out there losing farmland to a mobile home park let me know how many acres.
> Lets work together on this, we have got enough people on the short end of the stick to have things continue.

  isn!