Re: E-M:/ Det. News on Trees and Development

Enviro-Mich message from "Andrew I. Mutch" <amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us>

It was funny to read about the developers complaining about the increased
costs of preserving woodlands.  In most cases, the higher costs that home
buyers will encounter come not from increased development costs associated
with saving trees - instead, they come from the huge lot premiums that the
developers charge for those lots that abut preserved woodlands - and that
home buyers willing fork over.  In Novi, we have tried to implement
development options that allow developers to maintain their density while
preserving woodlands.  This is generally done through allowing reduced lot
sizes - this more compact development actually saves the developer $$$
because it reduces their infrastructure costs.  It isn't a perfect system
but we have saved a lot of high-quality woodlands and in some sites, we
have seen 100% preservation.

Andrew Mutch
Novi