Re: E-M:/ MEC Capitol Update - Deregulation of Electric Utilities

Enviro-Mich message from James Clift <jamesmec@voyager.net>

Jeff,

It works like this.  The results of the record roll call vote were displayed
on the voting board showing the mercury amendment had been adopted.  The
floor leader for the majority party (Rep. Raczkowski) made a motion to
reconsider the vote by which the amendment had passed. Within seconds the
presiding officer (Rep. Scranton) slams the gavel declaring the motion to
reconsider passed. Rep. Raczkowski made a motion to vote again on the issue,
ignoring calls from the Democrats for a record roll call vote. Seconds later
the gavel slams again declaring that the vote had failed the second time.

Copies of the roll call vote can be found by linking to the following page,
and going to the House journal for 5/31/00 (SB 937, RC# 642, p.1426).

http://www.MichiganLegislature.org/isapi/nls_ax.dll/JNLSRCH

The final result is that coal-fired power plants remain the largest source of
mercury into our environment, and remain unregulated.

James Clift
Michigan Environmental Council
(517) 487-9539
www.mienv.org