Re: E-M:/ MEC Capitol Update - Deregulation of Electric Utilities

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@mail.voyager.net>

I am naive.  I am VERY naive.

I figured James was wrong -- how can an amendment pass on a roll call vote
and not become part of the bill?  James is usually paying attention, but
the vote must have been taken really late at night and James possibly
missed something.  So, I went to the page in the House Journal that James
referenced --

>House journal for 5/31/00 (SB 937, RC# 642, p.1426).
>
>http://www.MichiganLegislature.org/isapi/nls_ax.dll/JNLSRCH

and there's the amendment along with the result of the roll call vote -- 56
in favor of regulating mercury from powerplants and 53 opposed.  I can see
that my representative -- the Honorable Judy Scranton -- opposed the
amendment (not terribly surprising) and I also see that she was "In The
Chair."

HOLY SMOKES JAMES DIDN'T GET IT WRONG!  The amendment passed!  The Michigan
House actually voted in favor of having the DEQ regulate Mercury emissions
from powerplants!

Then the house journal reads (and I quote) --

REP. RACZKOWSKI MOVED TO RECONSIDER THE VOTE BY WHICH THE HOUSE ADOPTED THE
AMENDMENT.  THE MOTION PREVAILED, A MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS PRESENT VOTING
THEREFOR.  THE QUESTION BEING ON THE ADOPTION OF THE AMENDMENT OFFERED BY
REP. CALLAHAN (the amendment to regulate mercury from dirty, old,
grandfathered coal fired power plants.), THE AMENDMENT WAS NOT ADOPTED, A
MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS SERVING NOT VOTING THEREFOR.

And with the following clause, "A MAJORITY OF THE MEMBERS SERVING NOT
VOTING THEREFOR," my Honorable Representative, Judy Scranton, defeated the
amendment she opposed and I propose she also invented a new counting method
now known as "SCRANTON MATH."  "SCRANTON MATH" is just like regular math
except with one exception, in "SCRANTON MATH" 53 is greater than 56.

When it comes to democracy SCRANTON MATH is applied anytime you're a member
of the "Party in Power" and you are "In The Chair" and wielding "The Gavel"
and the votes aren't going your way.  You simply IGNORE the roll call vote,
have your friends on the floor move to strike your previous losing vote and
then you do whatever the hell you want BECAUSE YOU'VE GOT "THE GAVEL."
ISN'T AMERICA (and Michigan in particular) GREAT!

Now back to my naivete --

I must REALLY be INCREDIBLY naive because no newspaper, radio station,
television, or internet media (other than the quiche eating Policy Director
from the Michigan Environmental Council) reported this travesty or the
invention of SCRANTON MATH.  Maybe it's not a travesty?!?  This must not be
news, SCRANTON MATH must be "the new math" used by our politicians.  Votes
don't count -- what counts is who does the counting.  AND SCRANTON'S MATH
SKILLS STINK!

Michigan doesn't have a democracy -- our representatives (and mine in
particular) ignore roll call votes when they don't fit their agenda;
Michigan's media obviously does not think that representatives ignoring
roll call votes (and being unable to count) is news;

the represented aren't watching, or the represented are too busy, or the
represented just don't care, or the represented already know that our
elected officials can't count and have decided to stop participating in
Michigan's FRADULENT democracy.

Sorry James, I didn't mean to imply you eat quiche.

Regards,

David

P.S.  Students -- watch out for questions regarding SCRANTON MATH on next
years MEAP tests!