E-M:/ People's Dioxin Action Summit- All Activists Invited

Enviro-Mich message from Tracey Easthope <tracey@ecocenter.org>

Scholarships available!  Please note deadline: JUNE 30th.  And please
contact Mary Beth (marybeth@ecocenter.org) for multiple hard copies of the
brochure for distribution.

**scholarships for travel and lodging are available**

Please join us for the
PEOPLE'S DIOXIN ACTION SUMMIT

UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA -- BERKELEY CAMPUS
BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA, USA
AUGUST 10-13, 2000

Everywhere in the world today, babies start out life with dangerous
industrial chemicals in their bodies. Dioxin is the most toxic of these
chemicals. It can cause cancer, birth defects, learning disabilities,
infertility, and immune system damage.

Dioxin is the by-product of industrial processes that use chlorine: the
bleaching of paper; the manufacture of pesticides; and the production of
polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic.  Dioxin is also produced when chlorinated
compounds
are burned in incinerators that burn household trash, medical waste, or
hazardous materials

COME JOIN HUNDREDS OF OTHER PEOPLE FOR THIS IMPORTANT FOUR DAY EVENT AIMED AT
CREATING EFFECTIVE ACTIONS THAT PEOPLE CAN TAKE TOGETHER TO ELIMINATE
DIOXIN EXPOSURE

*For more information about this event, Contact Greenaction at 415-252-0822
Or the Center for Health, Environment & Justice at 703-237-2249
======================================
Agenda

THURSDAY, AUGUST 10TH
======================
*4:00 - on   REGISTRATION -- Pauley Ballroom, Student Union, UC Berkeley
6:00 ‚ 8:30 Reception and viewing of the award winning video, ěDrum Beat
for Mother Earth, Persistent Organic Pollutants Threatening Indigenous
Peoplesî

FRIDAY, AUGUST 11TH
======================
*8:00 A.M..- on          REGISTRATION -- Pauley Ballroom, Student Union, UC
Berkeley
8:15 A.M.- 9:15         TUTORIALS
1.  Dioxin 101
2.  Endocrine Disrupters and Women's Health
3.  Dioxin's Effects on Developing Babies
4.  Internet Skills

9:30 A.M.- 11:30 OPENING PLENARY ‚
Update on the EPA's Dioxin Reassessment --Pauley Ballroom
11:45 A.M.- 12:45       WORKSHOPS (CHOOSE ONLY ONE)

1. Organizing Around International Incinerator Projects
2. Using the Precautionary Principle as an Organizing Tool
3. Working with Statewide Elected Officials on "Zero Dioxin" Resolutions &
Other Protective Policies
4. Working with the Media
5. Legal Tools for Activists
6. Building Relationships With Trade Unions
7. Organizing By, Of & For Youth
8. Alternative Empowerment Mechanisms

12:45 - 1:45   LUNCH
1:45 - 3:45  STRATEGY SESSION #1  (please choose one topic to attend for
both sessions)

1. Getting chlorine out of paper/pulp industry
2. Getting organochlorines out of manufacturing and cleaning
3. Getting dioxin out of refineries
4. Halting hazardous waste incineration (including cement kilns and
chemical and biological weapons incinerators)
5. Halting municipal solid waste incineration
6. Phasing out all uses of PVC
7. Linking dioxin to health & health-impacted groups
8. Getting dioxins out of our food
9. Protecting public health & jobs
10. Medical waste incinerators and hospital pollution prevention

4:05 - 4:25     ACTION PREPARATION
4:25 ‚ 7:00 LOCAL ACTION
         DINNER ON YOUR OWN

SATURDAY, AUGUST 12TH
======================
9:00 - 10:45     PLENARY - Environmental Justice Struggles from Around the
World -- Pauley Ballroom
11:05 - 12:05   PLENARY ‚ Strengthening Our Ties with Workers and Their Unions
12:05 - 1:05    LUNCH
1:00 - 3:00     Plenary - Latest Scientific Findings on Dioxin
3:50 - 5:50     STRATEGY SESSION #2 (Continued sessions from Friday)
6:30 - 8:00     DINNER
8:00 - on       FESTIVITIES/"OPEN MICROPHONE"  -- Pauley Ballroom (Bring
your guitar/harmonica/jokes/skits, etc.)

SUNDAY, AUGUST 13TH
=======================
8:30 - 10:00    REPORTS FROM STRATEGY SESSIONS
10:00 - 10:30   WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE
10:30 - 11:00   CLOSING PRAYER/CEREMONY
   Box Lunches to Go
========================
Registration: $75 (includes Thursday reception, Friday box lunch, Saturday
lunch and dinner and Sunday box lunch)
*Sliding scale - no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Accommodations:
Dormitory rooms on the University of California/Berkeley Campus
Double occupancy: $29.00 per person/night
Single occupancy: $45.00 per person/night
Scholarships are available to cover all or part of the above costs.

Information Tables/Display Space:
A limited number of information tables will be available for rent. To
secure a table, complete the "display" portion of the registration form
attached. Table space is on a "first registered, first served" basis.

Scholarships:

Scholarship funds are available to supplement the costs of travel,
registration and/or accommodations. TO APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP, PLEASE
COMPLETE THE following APPLICATION. Applications requiring international
travel must be returned by June 15. Applications for those traveling within
North
America must be   RETURNed NO LATER THAN JUNE 30TH.  International SCHOLARSHIP
APPLICANTS WILL BE INFORMED OF THE STATUS OF THEIR REQUEST BY June 30 and
applicants
traveling inside North America will be informed no later than July 17.

SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION FOR PEOPLE'S DIOXIN ACTION SUMMIT:
There are a few conditions to having the Summit pay for your travel:
*** We can only pay for tickets that are booked 28 days in advance for
international travel and 21 days in advance for domestic travel and
>include a Saturday night stay-over or the equivalent of such a ticket.
*** If we pay for your accommodations, you will be expected to share a room
with another person.

These measures may seem bureaucratic, but we anticipate more requests for
funding than we have money available, and this information will help us to
make those tough decisions.
==============================

==============================
SCHOLARSHIP FORM:

To apply for scholarship assistance, please mail, e-mail  or fax  the
following information to Monica Rohde at the Center for Health, Environment &
Justice in the U.S. at 703-237-8389 or mrohde@chej.org If your organization
is a member
of Health Care Without Harm, please note that funding from HCWH has been
set aside
to provide scholarships for representatives of HCWH member organizations.
Please
contact HCWH at noharm@iatp.org or by contacting Monica Rohde.

Name:

Group you will be representing:

Annual budget of that group? (If local affiliate of national group, give
local budget) $

City and state:

YOUR phone:

YOUR fax (if you have access to one):

YOUR e-mail (if you have one):

Circle the best way to reach you on a weekday (so we can notify you about
scholarship status):
phone   fax     e-mail
Do you require scholarship for travel? ___Y ___  N
Accommodations/housing?___ Y  ___ N
Registration? ___ Y ___  N

Approximate cost of your travel ______?

Amount your group can contribute toward your travel $_____________?

Will you be able to attend if you do not receive a scholarship?  _____Y
_____ N

REGISTRATION FORM (TO BE COMPLETED BY ALL CONFERENCE ATTENDEES, INCLUDING
SPEAKERS):

Name:
Representing organization:

Address:

City:                           State/Province:
Zip/Postal Code:                        Country:
Phone:                          Fax:
E-mail:

___ Y   ___ N   I am a speaker/presenter If so, list session:

___ Y   ___ N   I will need accommodations (circle/check nights needed)
_____ Th ____Fri_____ Sat

Registration costs (does NOT include accommodations/housing):

Yes, our group wants an information/display table in the Pauley ballroom!
Cost per table: $30

TOTAL AMOUNT ENCLOSED (INCLUDING REGISTRATION, ACCOMMODATIONS, AND INFO
TABLE):

$
MAKE CHECKS/MONEY ORDERS PAYABLE TO: AGAPE/PEOPLE'S DIOXIN ACTION SUMMIT.

PLEASE RETURN YOUR PAYMENT AND COMPLETED REGISTRATION TO:

GREENACTION FOR HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE
ATTN: SUE CHIANG
1095 MARKET STREET
SUITE 608
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103  USA