Enviro-Mich message from CSim592951@aol.com

Here is an update on the time of the environmental press conference to be
held in Detroit on Friday, June 23, 2000. The support from around the state &
around the nation  is growing daily. Please note that the time is Noon on
Friday, June 23, at King Solomon Baptist Church, 6125 14th Street, in the New
Center/Henry Ford Hospital area. If you can not attend, we welcome your
letters of endorsement and fact sheets or hand-outs.

"For Immediate Release<
Friday, June 23, 2000
KING SOLOMON BAPTIST CHURCH   14TH & Marquette,Detroit
>>Contact:  Charles E. Simmons 313-896-2521.
 csim592951@aol.com<
A community meeting and press conference will be held on  Friday, June
23,>2000 to highlight the consequences of a neglected and degraded
neighborhood environment on community health and the quality of life.
Professionals from health and environmental>organizations will meet with
community residents of the Northwest Goldberg, Virginia Park, and communities
throughout the region to discuss strategies to redress the neglect by local
and state officials.
>If the weather permits, participants will walk one block from King
Solomon<Baptist Church to the nearby Dump Site on Wabash and Marquette to
view a<hazardous waste site which residents have been petitioning the city to
clean<up for the past three years. Members of the news media will have an
opportunity to talk to residents and participants.
The Northwest Goldberg and Virginia Park communities have unacceptably high
levels of cancer and respiratory problems, including asthma.. Asthma rates in
the area are among the highest in the state.  These residents
are<also>burdened by Frequent illegal dumping, emissions from large
incinerators, degraded housing stock which exposes them to lead paint and
asbestos. The exposure to mercury, cadmium, and other carcinogens are mostly
from contaminated air and soil. Poor air quality and proximity to
contaminated sites have been linked to health problems in numerous studies.
Participants will include citizens and organizations throughout the state and
the nation who are concerned about the erosion of Michigan's environmental
protections and the failure of the state to have any positive initiatives to
work for sustainable development, clean air and water.
Participants will include members of the Detroiters Working for Environmental
Justice; the National Lawyers Guild; Clean Air Inc.; Clean Water Action; the
Radical Black Congress; the Wabash-Vermont-Marquette Block Clubs;  The
Committee for the Political Resurrection of Detroit, King Solomon Baptist
Church; Detroit Summer youth leadership organization; the National Welfare
Rights Organization; the Ecology Center (Ann Arbor); Rev. David Murray;
Cardinal Baye of the Shrines of the Black Madonna; the Environmental Justice
Group of (U. of Michigan); the Sierra Club of SE Michigan, the Organization
for Black Struggles--St. Louis; Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical
Contamination--Michigan; Black Workers for Justice--(North Carolina &
Georgia);Hamtramck Environmental Action Team;West Michigan Region
Environmental Network ( Muskegon County); Michigan Environmental Council,
Muslim Women Education and Advocacy Network, Youth Environmental Project,
Nolan/State Fair Neighborhood Empowerment Center and the National Conference
of Black Lawyers.

Historic King Solomon Baptist Church has been the site of noted leaders
including former Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall and Malcolm X. The
address is 6125 14th St, Detroit 48208. It is one block south of W. Grand
Blvd. One mile West of the Henry Ford Hospital campus. Close Freeways are the
John C. Lodge, Edsel Ford, and Chrysler.