Re: E-M:/ Coyote: Can you help us save?

Enviro-Mich message from Tim Flynn <timf@mac.com>

Deanne,

I once saw a study, I think it was a western wildlife agency, that showed
that to eliminate coyotes from an area you'd have to kill 75 percent of the
population for 5 year running.  Coyotes do adjust their reproduction to
disturbance.  When under hunting pressure it is likely that the population
will go up, not down, unless you meet the 75 percent target.  By breaking up
their social structure you free more members of the population to reproduce.

This study concluded that populations would be lowest where hunting/trapping
was the least.  This due to their own social limits on reproducing.

We have persecuted coyotes more than any other predator, yet after more than
100 years of poison, traps and guns, they have expanded their population to
all 50 state, where once they only existed on the plains and mountains of
the west.

If they really want to control coyote numbers there is only one choice,
reintroduce wolves.  It is likely that the reduction of wolf populations is
the single biggest factor in the expansion of coyote range.  Wolves are in
the business of limiting competition for their food sources, they work at it
all day, every day.  They kill, harass and dominate coyotes that share their
habitat.  Of course this is impractical in suburbia, but it would work:)

Shooting coyotes once in a while, in the name of population control is
nonsensical.  Even if you reduce the local population, other coyotes will
follow them, to fill the niche left by the temporary reduction.

Limiting their food sources (access to human foods/ garbage)  in the
urban/suburban environments is a better strategy, it will also reduce other
mid-size predators (raccoons, possums, etc).

Of course you also hit on the real question, why are they seeking to reduce
coyote numbers?  Are coyotes threatening people? Unlikely.  Killing domestic
pets? More likely, especially if folks are letting their cats run wild, a
bad idea for many reasons.  Or is it just stereotypic thinking, "all coyotes
are varmits".

And what do they lose if there are fewer coyotes?  The predation pressure
may be having a positive effect on local biodiversity.

Tim