E-M:/ Important Congressional Votes

Enviro-Mich message from mike.newman@sfsierra.sierraclub.org

 I've posted the first paragraph of our press release on two critical votes
 from last night.  If you want the whole thing, please let me know.  Also, I'm
 listing how the delegation voted.

 Thanks,

 Mike Newman
 Sierra Club National Political Representative
 mike.newman@sierraclub.org
 (202) 675-7917

 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE      CONTACT:
 June 22, 2000              Jon Schneider, (202) 675-2383

 HOUSE SPURNS EFFORTS TO REMOVE ARSENIC
 AND RADON FROM DRINKING WATER, SMOG FROM AIR

 WASHINGTON-- The U.S. House of Representatives last night voted against
 efforts to reduce the amount of arsenic and radon in drinking water,
 threatening the health of American families. The current standard for arsenic
 levels in drinking water was last updated in 1942, but under today's vote,
 the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will be forbidden from reducing the
 amount of that poison that flows from our taps. In a separate vote, the House
 approved an amendment that delays the process of cleaning smog hanging over
 our dirtiest cities.

 + = pro-envi. vote
 - = anti-envi. vote

 Member      Water amnd.    Air amnd.