E-M:/ High Gasoline Prices?

Enviro-Mich message from William Tobler <wtobler@tdi.net>

About 10 days ago I was muttering to myself about the high price of
gasoline, up about 70 cents in a few weeks.  At that time, USEPA was
attributing only about 5 cents of the increase to reformulated gasoline,
effective June 1.  The remaining 65 cents still seems to have resulted
from "unknown" origins.

As we all know, Russ Harding, and other anti-environmental political
figures including George W Bush and certain big dirty business figures,
received a stinging embarrassment 2 months ago when their secret meeting
at Metro Airport was revealed.  Supposedly, a main ingredient of this
Republican meeting was to seek ways to embarrass and dismantle the USEPA
in the event of a sweeping Republican victory this November.

Well what occurred to me, while watching the dollars go whipping by on
the pump, was whether the Republicans would place the blame for this
gasoline price surge on the USEPA and other environmental nuts.  Sure
enough, in a radio interview this past Friday, John Truscott,
representing Governor John Engler, did exactly that.

Truscott was also asked whether Michigan might follow the lead of other
midwestern states and reduce the state taxes such that the state
governments didn't receive a windfall from the situation.  He said that
the high prices were entirely a Federal issue, and that the State wasn't
benefitting from increased tax collections, and Michigan would NOT
consider adjusting their taxing basis.

Whereas I don't necessarily support a rollback of the taxes, I DO
SUPPORT an honest and accurate representation of the monies collected
and where they might go.  I also want to know EXACTLY the sources of the
price surge, and who is getting what.  So far, the petroleum industry's
response (Huh?  Gee.  I don't know.) seems a little disingenuous.  How
about a secret plan between these same Republicans and the Refineries to
rip off the American public and place the blame on the USEPA and
environmental causes?  It's no secret that the Refineries are unhappy
about the reformulation regulations.  This scenario seems to make a lot
of sense, and if found to be true, well .....