RE: E-M:/ High Gasoline Prices?

Enviro-Mich message from "Conan Smith" <conanmec@voyager.net>

The Engler Administration is again feeding the public a lot of hooey about
transportation.  Michigan sure is benefiting from increased gas prices!  We
charge sales tax on gas, so as the price goes up, so do the state
transportation coffers.  While a straight gas tax provides the vast amount
of funding for road in this state, there noticeably hasn't been any talk
about reducing the sales tax collection . . . which incidentally could be
done at least in small part by rewriting to law to calculate the sales tax
BEFORE state and federal gas taxes drive the price up, rather than after as
it is currently done.

In Michigan we habitually spend billions on unsustainable transportation,
gasoline combustion engines being no small part of that equation.  Truscott
blaming USEPA is just another sick excuse for a situation we have seen
coming for thirty years.

Conan Smith
Land Programs Director
Michigan Environmental Council