Re: RE: E-M:/ High Gasoline Prices?

Enviro-Mich message from "Grant Trigger" <GTrigger@honigman.com>

This electronic message and all contents contain information from the law firm of
Honigman Miller Schwartz and Cohn which may be privileged, confidential or
otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is intended to be for the
addressee only.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or
use of the contents of this message is prohibited.  If you have received this
electronic message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message and all copies.

Someone should check whether the gas tax is a percentage or a set cents per gallon.  If a set cents per gallon it does not drive up the cost of gas.  If so the issue is not the rate but how it is spent.

>>> "Conan Smith" <conanmec@voyager.net> 06/26 8:29 AM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from "Conan Smith" <conanmec@voyager.net>

The Engler Administration is again feeding the public a lot of hooey about
transportation.  Michigan sure is benefiting from increased gas prices!  We
charge sales tax on gas, so as the price goes up, so do the state
transportation coffers.  While a straight gas tax provides the vast amount
of funding for road in this state, there noticeably hasn't been any talk
about reducing the sales tax collection . . . which incidentally could be
done at least in small part by rewriting to law to calculate the sales tax
BEFORE state and federal gas taxes drive the price up, rather than after as
it is currently done.

In Michigan we habitually spend billions on unsustainable transportation,
gasoline combustion engines being no small part of that equation.  Truscott
blaming USEPA is just another sick excuse for a situation we have seen
coming for thirty years.

Conan Smith
Land Programs Director
Michigan Environmental Council