Re: RE: E-M:/ High Gasoline Prices?

Enviro-Mich message from Kirk Riley <rileyki@egr.msu.edu>

The state gas tax is levied per gallon.  Right now it's 5.7 cents per
gallon, and set to go to 6.8 cents in September (see below)   State
Treasury also levies an environmental protection regulatory fee of 7/8 of 1
cent per gallon.

Those are small amounts as a share of the price per gallon.  What is the
federal gas tax?  Somebody said here that the added cost of reformulated
gas is 5 cents per gallon.  Does that take into account any impact scarcity
may be having on prices?  If that's right, again that sounds like a small
amount per gallon--though too many small amounts can add up.

Kirk Riley

http://www.treas.state.mi.us/lawrules/rabs/2000/rab0002.htm

REVENUE ADMINISTRATIVE BULLETIN 2000 - 2
NOTICE OF CHANGE OF PREPAID GASOLINE SALES TAX RATE
(Replaces Revenue Administrative Bulletin 1999-8)

RAB 2000 - 2. This bulletin announces the change in the prepaid gasoline
sales tax rate under Section 6a of the General Sales Tax Act, MCL 205.56a;
MSA 7.527(1). Section 6a provides that the rate of prepaid gasoline sales
tax shall be determined every six months by the Michigan Department of
Treasury unless the Department certifies that the change in the statewide
average retail price of a gallon of self-serve unleaded regular gasoline
has been less than 10 percent during the six-month period.

Effective September 1, 2000, the new rate is 6.8 cents per gallon. This
change is necessitated by an increase in the statewide average retail price
of a gallon of self-serve unleaded regular gasoline in excess of the 10
percent statutory criteria.

The prepayment on all first sales by refiners and terminal operators must
be at this new rate. Imported gasoline is also subject to the new rate.

All taxpayers must use the actual rate paid by or charged to them when
invoicing other wholesale customers or when taking credit with their sales
tax returns.

The change in the rate for prepaid gasoline sales tax does not affect the
environmental protection regulatory fee which remains at 7/8 of 1 cent per
gallon.