E-M:/ Alma Prof tests Pine River when DEQ would not

     An article in the Morning Sun 'Gratiot County Edition' on Thursday
     7/13 highlighted the efforts of one person's struggle to get the DEQ
     to do its job.

     After repeatedly asking the DEQ to look into the pollution of Pine
     River, Alma College Professor Murray Borrello finally took matters
     into his own hands.  Borrello sampled the water himself, as well as
     sending it in to a Seattle environmental lab for confirmation.  The
     results showed evidence of petroleum hydrocarbons in water taken
     upstream of the old Midwest Refinery.

     The DEQ did groundwater contamination testing at this site, but
     according to Borrello, they said 'well, we're not considering the
     river'.  Further testing will be done to determine other potential
     sources of the petroleum.

     "How do they know if it's contaminated if they won't get out there and
     take samples?" Borello says, "I'm doing this to show the MDEQ that
     there is a petroleum impact and they have to consider the river as
     part of the whole clean-up solution."

     Tracie Rexer
     Sierra Club intern