Re: E-M:/ Re: [swan] Michigan Greens hail Governor Engler andSmart Growth!!!!!

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

A couple answers - no tree ordinance yet.  Our ordinance committee that is working on the stormwater ordinance is looking at some tree ordinances from other areas.  Our concern is that once we've approved a PUD, we have control over tree removal and other excavating, but any land owner by right (state given) can harvest the trees on his property.  We're trying to see if there is a way to prevent that.

This leads into the issue about state laws hampering our ability to protect the environment.  A couple examples - the plat act, the land division laws are both state laws.  We have to abide by them.  We recently had a developer choose to develop using  site condominimum regulations.  The rules governing these developments cannot (by state law) be any more stingent than the subdivision act.  Because we are a general law township, the state does not allow us to enforce soil erosion - we must rely on the County Road Commission. (we're working to change that legislation).  Mobile home parks are allowed to go in almost by right.  Now it looks like intensive livestock operations may also get that opportunity.  The State limits much of what we can refuse based on property rights laws.

If we had our way, our Board would love to be able to say to the developers that we're full enough, thank you, go somewhere else.  Unfortunately, everyone has the right to develop their property to its highest and best use.  We certainly didn't come up with that idea.  We have the task of making sure there is a balance between protection of the environment and the rights of the property owners to develop their land.  We do the best we can with the laws we have to work with.
Bonnie Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk/Watershed Administrator

>>> <Murphwild1@aol.com> 07/14/00 12:05PM >>>
Bonnnie,

Well, sounds like your township may be cleaner than some, if in fact it is
true.  I stand by my generalization that most township, village and city
boards, planning commissions, and zoning boards are filled with those who end
up representing the interests of developers--even when they are not directly
affiliated with them.  I can say this is certainly true of Lake Orion
Township and Village as well as many, many more.  If this was not the case
than we would not be in the midst of this overdevelopment crisis--unlimited
growth.  All you have to do is look around.  Development is utterly out of
control.  Also, you do not have to be directly involved in real estate or
development to cave to their interests.  I have seen other well intentioned
people fall into the pack mentality, or popularity contests, in Townships,
and also seen them form cliques which end up representing ONLY business
interests and the status qou while giving lip service to the environment.

I doubt Kent County is free of strip malls, destroyed wetlands, and
subdivisions. Also, facts are facts and the articles I refered to have
appeared on this listserve and were based on facts, not generalizations or
speculation.  You can probably request them from the list manager and list
archives for dates and then find them in the Detroit News archives. I am sure
Anne Woiwode has enough experience to speak to the issues of the Meridan Twp.
Board.

State laws and courts advocating private property rights can indeed be a
detriment to protecting the einviroment.  How are state laws preventing you
from protecting the environment?

Do you have a tree ordinance in Cannon Township? If so, could you please
forward it to me?

Murray Dailey

In a message dated 7/14/00 7:56:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,