E-M:/ Comment for the Piping Plover Critical Habitat designation.

Enviro-Mich message from "Liz Godfrey" <lizgodfrey@prodigy.net>

ACTION ALERT!

OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT ON PIPING PLOVER CRITICAL HABITAT!!

After much wrangling and haggling, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has
finally released a poprosed rule for critical habitat designation for the
Great Lakes piping plover.  The piping plover is a short, stocky shorebird
that likes to make its nests on rocky and sandy beaches along the Great
Lakes.  The plover once thrived throughout the GL region, but today only 32
breeding pairs remain, most of which are found in Northern Michigan.

Critical habitat designation is essential to the recovery of the species.
Critical habitat is, simply put, the habitat that is necessary for the
species to survive and thrive and hopefully, through conservation of the
habitat, lead to its delisting.

In 1985, the piping plover was listed as endangered.  It was supposed to be
given critical habitat at that time.  Better late than never.  We need to
ensure that the Service follows through and protects this habitat.

Under the plan, the plover will receive extensive critical habitat in
Michigan, both in the Upper and Lower Peninsulas.  A map may be viewed at
http://plover.fws.gov/piplchmaps/MI.pdf

ACTION: Please attend a public hearing concerning this critical habitat on
July 20 in Traverse City, Michigan (details at the bottom).  Please speak at
the hearing in support of this critical habitat designation.

ACTION: Please submit you own personal comments in the form of a letter.  A
sample letter is attached to this alert.  Please use it as a guide.

The piping plover needs your help.  With you letter, habitat will be
protected and the species will be assisted toward recovery.

If you would like more information, please contact me.  Please forward this
to anyone else you may think would be willing to comment.  Thanks so much
for your help.

Liz Godfrey
GREEN Northland Organizer
the GrassRoots Environmental Effectiveness Network
*powering the Endangered Species Coalition*
(608) 294-1338
lgodfrey@stopextinction.org

Traverse City, MI- July 20, 2000
Grand Traverse Civic Center,
1213 West Civic Center Drive
Open House begins at 6 p.m.
7 - 9 p.m. - Comments/hearings

SAMPLE PIPING PLOVER COMMENT LETTER

[for the Great Lakes breeding critical habitat]
Piping Plover Comment
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
1 Federal Drive
Fort Snelling, MN   55111

pipingplovercomments@fws.gov

RE: Piping Plover comments

To the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

On behalf of (myself/organization with XXX members in YY), thank you for
publishing your request for comments regarding the proposed rule for
critical habitat for the Great Lakes population of the piping plover. I/we
am/are very concerned about the fate of the Piping Plover and support the
designation of its critical habitat  here in the Great Lakes.

The piping plover once thrived throughout the Great Lakes region.  In 1985,
the population was listed as endangered and should have received critical
habitat designation, not 15 years later.  Due to development and human
encroachment, there are currently only 32 breeding pairs remaining, most of
which are in Northern Michigan.  Hopefully, the designation of critical
habitat for the plover will aid them in their recovery and hopeful
delisting.

I support the designation of critical habitat for the Great Lakes piping
plover population.  This species desperately needs all the protection and
assistance within the power of the Federal government.  Ideally, this
designation will lead to the purchase of land in order to assist in the
ploverís recovery.  I commend the Service for including over 189 miles of
shoreline within the proposed rule.

Thank you for the consideration of my thoughts on this matter.

Sincerely,

Name
Organization if you are representing one
Title
Address