Re: E-M:/Governor Engler and Smart Growth

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us>

I also wanted to respond to the original post about John Engler and "smart growth"
- let me put it this way, "I'll believe it when I see it!"

Comparing Maryland and Michigan when it comes to "smart growth" is like comparing
day and night.  Governor Parris Glendening is a real advocate for "smart growth"
and the efforts that Maryland is making to implement agricultural zones, urban
growth boundaries and concurrency of services demonstrates that you can have
growth and protect agriculture and open spaces.  Plus, the efforts in Maryland
have built on successful efforts over the years to preserve open space and
agriculture around major cities in Maryland, like Baltimore.  Urban and rural
politicians in that state recognize that there is a linkage between the loss or
rural character and the abandonment of urban centers and the need for both to work
together to preserve their respective communities.

Michigan under John Engler has given little but lip service to any kind of growth
management.  The efforts that have been successful have almost all taken place at
the local level.  The State continues to weaken environmental standards and
promote development that harms rural and urban areas.  Also, instead of building
on past efforts, the state continues to rollback or abandon policies that had been
put in place to protect our residents and communities.  The hijacking  by the
building and real estate lobbies of the efforts to develop policies that would
promote and protect agricultural areas is one more example of how off-track the
process has become in this state.

Andrew