       506 Victoria Ave., Montreal, Quebec H3Y 2R5
        Ph. (514) 369- 0230, Fax (514) 369- 3282
                Email  cibe@web.net
             Vol. 4, No. 27.5, July 15, 2000

NEW BOOK ANALYSES VOLUNTARY ENVIRONMENTAL
MEASURES IN CANADA

A new book, edited by Dr. Robert Gibson at the University of Waterloo,
entitled, "Voluntary Initiatives, the New Politics of Corporate
Greening", was released by Broadview Press. It found that ... most VEM's don't work. And they are more costly to implement and create more delays than well planned performance based regulations....Dr. Gibson wrote, "expectations for voluntary initiative success are not yet firmly supported by the record of experience." He added that, "government enthusiasm for the concept has coincided suspiciously with the rise of political devotion to deficit reduction. The governments most willing to embrace corporate voluntarism in place of regulation have also been those
most energetic in gutting environmental and other social programmes
in the name of fiscal responsibility." For a copy of the book write
Dr. Robert Gibson, Professor, Faculty Environmental Studies,
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, ph. (519) 888-4567,
Ext. 3407, or email rbgibson@watserv1.uwaterloo.ca

Pete Pasterz, Manager
Office of Recycling and Waste Management
Michigan State University