E-M:/ White Pine Trail

To answer some questions raised following my initial posting ....
The source of the toxins is typical for old railroad grades: byproducts of coal cumbustion, breakdown of creosoted railroad ties, herbicide applications.  Once I get a copy of the sample info I'll post the particulars on the toxin levels.
The friends of the White Pine Trail has known about this problem since the sample results were produced (July 1998).  I am a member of the friends, and my feeling is that they have had little success working with the DNR on the north end of the trail.
The newspaper article I referred to was written by Dave Poulson and appeared in several newspapers in early January 1999.
The trail could be surfaced with compacted road gravel or Afton stone; these make excellent bicycle riding surfaces and won't upset the snowmobilers.
A side issue and perhaps not environmental, is the apparent abandonment of the north end of the trail by the DNR.  It has not been mowed this year, a beaver has cut a channel nearly completely across the trail, the informational kiosk at the trailhead has had the plexiglass half broken out for a year (either remove it or fix it!), and no effort has been made to remove debris from the trail. Also, the trail is exceedingly filthy because of the black dust.  I know several people who have stopped using the trail - particularly if they had used it with their children - because of the trail condition.
It is important not to blame the trail manager or his very few workers for this situation.  The problem resides at a much higher level in the DNR.