Re: E-M:/ White Pine Trail

At 05:42 AM 07/20/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>To answer some questions raised following my initial posting ....
>The source of the toxins is typical for old railroad grades: byproducts of
>coal cumbustion, breakdown of creosoted railroad ties, herbicide
>applications.  Once I get a copy of the sample info I'll post the
>particulars on the toxin levels.
>The friends of the White Pine Trail has known about this problem since the
>sample results were produced (July 1998).  I am a member of the friends,
>and my feeling is that they have had little success working with the DNR
>on the north end of the trail.
>The newspaper article I referred to was written by Dave Poulson and
>appeared in several newspapers in early January 1999.

You may want to compare soil concentration information about
various pollutants to the criteria used by the MDEQ Environmental
Response Division to see if any of those criteria are exceeded.

I'd also suggest looking at total and hexavalent
chromium as well given the presence of
chrome in industrial slag used as ballast on rail lines.

There is also the matter of pentachlorophenol which may have
leached out of rail road ties in the past.  Pentachlorophenol
is a concern, not only for its own toxicity, but also because
it was frequently contaminated with chlorinated dibenzo-dioxins
before manufactures took steps to reduce this level of
contamination.

and Community Environmental Protection

PO Box 39  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971 (voice); (517) 332-8987 (fax)