E-M:/ Elvis Opposes Trash Imports from Toronto

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Mary Beth Doyle -------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELVIS PRESLEY JOINS THE ECOLOGY CENTER IN OPPOSITION TO TORONTO TRASH PLAN

July 24, 2000

For more information, contact:
Mary Beth Doyle 734-663-2400 ext. 108

ANN ARBOR--The Ecology Center joins Michigan and Ontario environmental activists in expressing concern about the City of Toronto's leading options for a 20-year waste disposal plan. The leading option being considered is to send over 500,000 tons of waste each year to Michigan landfills, and to send the remainder of the waste over 300 miles north of Toronto to an environmentally-sensitive abandoned mine in Kirkland Lake. The City Council will make their final decision at a two day meeting, August 3rd and 4th.

To help raise public awareness about this pending decision, the Ecology Center has brought Elvis Presley out of retirement to record a special version of "Return to Sender" as well as 30 second and 60 second educational radio spots.

"I 've been in retirement in Kalamazoo, but I felt the need to get back into the studio for this one," said Mr. Presley. "There are plenty of Canadian imports I really enjoy, but garbage is not one of them. If Toronto sends us their trash, we'll mark it "Return to Sender" and send it right back!"

The Ecology Center shares Mr. Presley's opinion. In the autumn of 1997, they collected over 5000 letters from Michigan residents, opposing the importation of Toronto trash. The letters were delivered to Toronto in a garbage can, as part of a four-city "Return to Sender" tour.

"We oppose any plan that does not include substantial recycling," said Michael Garfield, Director of the Ecology Center. "They don't want the garbage in Kirkland Lake, and we don't want it here. If Toronto adopted an aggressive waste recycling plan, it wouldn't need to shop for landfills hundreds of miles away."

The Ecology Center is urging Michigan citizens to call Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman at (416)-395-6464, to again express their outrage about the proposed trash options. The Center is distributing the copies of a CD with the radio spots and the Toronto Trash version of "Return to Sender," to radio stations in Michigan and Ontario to help inform people about the pending decision.

The 30 and 60 second radio spots featuring the song are also available in MP3 format on the Ecology Center's website at www.ecocenter.org/tt.html.

RETURN TO SENDER-TORONTO TRASH VERSION

Wrote a letter this morning,
Sent it Special D