E-M:/ Sierra Club endorses Gore, and political reforms

Enviro-Mich message from Lydia H Fischer <lydfisch@mindspring.com>

>     For Immediate Release                    Media Contact:
>     July 22, 2000                            Allen Mattison, 202-675-7903
>
>                                SIERRA CLUB:
>                        ELECT AL GORE; CLEAN UP AMERICAN POLITICS
>
>     WASHINGTON - The Sierra Club today endorsed Vice President Al Gore to
>     be the next President of the United States.
>
>     The Sierra Club Board of Directors also voted today to clean up

 American politics by: including serious third party candidates,
>     including Ralph Nader, in the Presidential debates; getting big money
>     out of politics by closing loopholes in current campaign-finance laws;
>     establishing effective spending limits; adopting public financing for
>     Senate and congressional candidates; and supporting the
>     free-television-time proposal developed by the Alliance for Better
>     Campaigns.
>
>     "The Sierra Club endorses Vice President Gore because he is committed
>     to cutting air and water pollution and protecting our nation's
>     treasured forests and wildlands," said Dr. Robert Cox, Sierra Club's
>     volunteer President.  "As Vice President, Al Gore helped strengthen
>     clean air health standards, sped clean up of Superfund toxic waste
>     sites, reduced automobile tailpipe pollution, and protected America's
>     spectacular landscapes. This is the kind of leadership the American
>     people are seeking in our next President.
>
>     "Governor Bush, on the other hand, has said that if he's elected, he
>     will weaken toxic-waste clean-up standards, allow oil drilling in the
>     Arctic Refuge, and increase logging in National Forests," Cox
>     continued.  "When it comes to protecting our environment, Al Gore is
>     by far our best shot at a President committed to a sustainable future,
>     tested as a political leader, and qualified to lead America into the
>     next century."
>
>     The Gore endorsement capped a 6-month process in which the grassroots
>     organization surveyed each of its chapters and thousands of its

 volunteer leaders.  Thirty-nine chapters, representing 413,854
>     members, favored a Gore endorsement; one chapter, with 3,006 members,
>     supported an endorsement for Ralph Nader; 16 chapters, with 138,236
>     members, did not respond.
>
>     "When the Sierra Club asked our local chapters and thousands of

 volunteer leaders whether to endorse a Presidential candidate, the
>     response was overwhelming: They want Al Gore in the White House,
>     protecting America's environment," Cox said.  "Our members believe that
>     a vote for Gore is the best way to protect our families from pollution
>     and safeguard our nation's landscapes for future generations to enjoy."
>
>     The Sierra Club Board of Directors recognized consumer-advocate Ralph
>     Nader's record of work for the environment, but emphasized the urgency
>     of defeating Texas Governor George Bush as an additional reason for
>     endorsing Vice-President Gore.
>
>     "Our members looked at the records of all the candidates," said Cox.
>     "We looked at their positions, their records, and their experience.
>     Al Gore is our overwhelming choice."
>
>     The Sierra Club, with over 600,000 members, is the nation's oldest and
>     largest grassroots environmental organization.  The Board voted to
>     endorse Vice President with 12 in favor, two against, and one
>     abstention.
>

>                        Resolution endorsing Gore:
>     "The Sierra Club endorses Al Gore for President of the United States.
>     We will do everything in our power to help Mr. Gore win the
>     presidency.  Mr. Gore has a long history as an advocate for the
>     environment and we look forward to his Presidency and a new beginning
>     for strong environmental protection in this country."
>
>                        Resolution on cleaning up politics:
>     "Working on the current election is not enough.  The single-round,
>     winner-take-all political process has problems.  We support
>     alternative electoral methods that better reflect the diversity of
>     public opinion.  We need to get big money out of politics by closing
>     loopholes in current campaign finance laws, establishing effective
>     spending limits, and adopting public financing for Senate and

congressional candidates.  We support the free television time

>     ISSUE: CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM
>
>     GORE
>      Supports McCain-Feingold bill to ban soft-money donations to

political parties.