E-M:/ Grand River Expedition 2000

Enviro-Mich message from phil dakin <timrcd@iserv.net>

Further information regarding the Thornapple River's message:

There will be a closing ceremony at 4:00 p.m. in conjunction with the
displays at Grand Haven's Waterfront Stadium. All are invited to attend.

In addition, we are trying to see what interest there is in developing a
watershed partnership for the great but neglected Grand River. Timberland
RC&D, currently sponsor of the Muskegon River Watershed Assembly, and West
Michigan Environmental Action Council (WMEAC) have been exploring interest
from a number of agencies and institutions, but without individual citizen
and grassroots organizational commitments, the partnership is not complete
and would be limited in its success. The Grand River Expedition in 1990
created a lot of concern and at that time WMEAC made a start at forming a
watershed council which ultimately stopped meeting. The folks involved with
GRE 2000 seem to be even more committed and informed than the group in 1990
(though many of them are the same people), so we're hoping that the canoe
trip will have a similar effect in sparking interest and concern.

If you would like to be involved with a Grand River watershed partnership,
please e-mail me at timrcd@iserv.net.

Cynthia Price
Timberland RC&D