E-M:/ Native Landscaping Conference

Celebrating Our Native Landscape: Bringing It All Home
August 12, 2000    Ann Arbor, Michigan

This August, the five Michigan chapters of the Wild Ones Natural Landscapers is teaming up with Nichol's Arboretum in Ann Arbor to sponsor a natural landscaping conference called "Celebrating Our Native Landscape: Bringing It All Home."  The conference will introduce and explore the principles of natural landscaping with native plants and the environmental necessities of this newly developing practice.  Everyone interested in making a significant contribution to the environment should consider natural landscaping in their yards, offices and community properties.

Scheduled for August 12, the conference will feature morning talks by Craig Tufts, Chief Naturalist for the National Wildlife Federation and author of The Backyard Naturalist and The National Wildlife Federation's Guide to Gardening for Wildlife: How to Create a Beautiful Backyard Habitat for Birds, Butterflies and Other Wildlife; Joan Nassauer, Landscape Architecture Professor at the University of Michigan and author of Placing Nature: Culture and Landscape Ecology; and Bob Grese, Director of Nichols Arboretum and Landscape Architecture Professor at Michigan.  Professor Grese is the author of Jens Jensen: Maker of Natural Parks and Gardens

The afternoon program will include sessions on introducing native plants to a traditional garden, native grasses and sedges, attracting backyard wildlife, propagating and planting native plants, water quality issues and native landscapes, and working with local government.  There will also be a series of workshops and field sessions in the Arboretum on assessing your landscape (landforms, soils, habitats), plant identification, identifying and managing invasive exotic plants, prairie wildflowers and grasses, and woodland groundcovers.

Pre-registration extends through August 1 at a rate of $35 for members of Wild Ones and Friends of Nichols Arboretum and $40 for non-members.  The registration fee includes a box lunch.  Registrations post-marked after August 1 will be $50 and lunch is not guaranteed (although we'll do what we can to accommodate everyone!)  A variety of books and native plants will be offered for sale.

To receive an e-mail copy of the registration form, just respond to this message.  If you'd like to get more information about the conference or Wild Ones, please check the Wild Ones web site (http://www.for-wild.org), send an e-mail message (wildones-conference@ic.net) or call 248-601-2553.