E-M:/ Macomb Co. Residents rising up

Enviro-Mich message from "Shelly Bania" <sbania2@hotmail.com>

For those of you following the happenings in Macomb county, you may
recall a posting not to long ago from yours truly predicting that
the Residents of Macomb County were beginning to stand up and take notice of
the destruction of their natural environs and are actually TAKING ACTION.
Proof positive is a story by Maureen Feighan that tells of some recent
citizen activism to stop/stall development throughout Macomb County. 3
stories are told:

-Citizens in Sterling Heights stopping a development on wetlands.
-Citizens in Ray Twp that stalled a golf course development and
have started a land trust, The Macomb Land Conservancy, that now
has over 100 members in 3 short months.
-Citizens in Chesterfield working to stop a development within their
last remaining wooded wetlands.

For the details, please visit:

http://detnews.com/2000/macomb/0007/30/c01-97819.htm

To contrast this citizen-based activism, turn to a recent article in the
Macomb Daily that reports on meetings between the MDEQ and Macomb
Co. developers. The Daily states that the "Department of Environmental
Quality and Macomb County builders are working together to take the delay
out of development in the state's fastest-growing county."

Take a closer look at:

http://www.zwire.com/news/newsstory.cfm?newsid=655382&BRD=988&PAG=461

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, however, I find it interesting
that the regulatory agency that citizens look to for help in their
conservation efforts is reportedly meeting with developers to make it easier
to develop our sensitive areas.

Stay tuned for more news as I'm sure this will fuel more conservation
energy from Macomb Citizens (we hope!)

Take care,

Shelly Bania