Re: E-M:/ macomb county wetland permits

Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <amutch@waterford.lib.mi.us>

I would put a positive spin on this and say that it is a good sign that the
developers are talking to the DEQ -- it means that someone in Macomb County is
rattling enough cages that the developers are getting nervous that they might
actually have to follow the rules - imagine that!

I don't know how many Macomb County communities have local wetland ordinances but
I'm guessing that very few of them do.  This probably accounts for the low permit
numbers - the DEQ isn't going to get involved unless it has to [or is forced to]
-- in Oakland County, many local communities require contact with the DEQ as part
of the local wetlands review so you see much higher numbers, even if the review is
cursory.  Unless or until local communities in Macomb County start adopting local
wetlands ordinances, those numbers are going to stay low.

Andrew Mutch
Planning Commissioner, City of Novi