E-M:/ Grants Available for Volunteer Cleanups of Michigan Rivers, Streams, and Creeks

Enviro-Mich message from "Scott" <smcewen@freeway.net>

For Immediate Release
August 1, 2000

Grants Available for Volunteer Cleanups of Michigan Rivers, Streams, and Creeks

The Michigan River Network and the Michigan Department of
Environmental Quality are pleased to announce the availability
of small grants to help organizations fund the volunteer cleanup
of Michigan's rivers, streams and creeks.  The Michigan legislature recently
approved $50,000 to be used in 2000 by Michigan citizens for this
important initiative.

"This is a tremendous opportunity for local organizations to
receive funding to involve community members in improving their
environment in a tangible way," stated Scott McEwen of the
Michigan River Network, a program of Tip of the Mitt Watershed
Council. Monies are earmarked specifically to pay for the cleanup
of trash and debris removal from rivers and streams.  The grants
can pay for such items as disposal costs, hand tools, supplies,
and refreshments and promotional materials for volunteers, but
cannot pay for staff time.

Grants will be made in amounts ranging from $500 to $5,000
depending on applicant needs.  "We've tried to structure this program
so grant money will quickly and efficiently get into our communities
to directly benefit our rivers, streams and creeks," stated Sharon Baker of
the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Surface Water
Quality Division.

Applicants must either be a not for profit organization, or have a sponsor
which is a not for profit to be eligible for consideration.  Grant applications
will need to be post marked by August 22, 2000.  Applicants will
also need to provide a 25% local match.  To receive a grant application
call Scott McEwen at (231) 347-1181 or send an email with an address included
to smcewen@freeway.net.