Re: E-M:/ wetland permits

Enviro-Mich message from "thornapple river" <thornapple@hotmail.com>

Hi, Bonnie!

I do know (having asked several sources in three counties) that your master
plan MUST have language stating the desire to protect wetlands and the
reasoning behind protecting the wetlands, or the wetlands protection
ordinances will not be effective or defensible. If you don't have that in
your master plan, you should add it. You also must have evidence of
community support and desire to protect them (which you may have, if locals
are doing the inventory).

The inventory is essential, and if you can get the info into a GIS system,
even more useful. If you want to protect wetlands in general, that is a
noble thought; but if you want to protect YOUR SPECIFIC COMMUNITY'S
wetlands, it is best to identify them CLEARLY in your masterplan. If you are
taken to court over an ordinance challenge and your masterplan does not
state exactly where the resources you want to protect are located...or why
protecting them is important to the community...well.....good luck in court.

The master plan should thus have a map (locating the wetlands the community
desires to protect) attached.

There are model ordinances of all kinds available for download at
http://www.cwp.org/  (the center for watershed protection site.)

Patricia Pennell

"The mission of the Thornapple River Watershed Group is to protect the
ecology of the Thornapple River and its tributaries."

Patricia Pennell
Director of Educational Programs
616-891-8817
fax 616-891-9820