E-M:/ John's State of the State contrasted with ARE MICHIGAN'S BEACHES SAFE?

Enviro-Mich message from David Wright <wrightd@mail.voyager.net>

As I continue to read and hear about Michigan beach closings and the need
to boil water to ensure that it is safe to drink, I think back to the
Governor's State of the State Address and his section on Michigan's
Environment.  So, I thought it would be interesting to combine a few
statements from the Governor's glowing report on his stewardship of
Michigan's water with a few statements from a recent press release about
excrement causing beach closings in Michigan.

Governor Engler's citations are in all CAPS.  You can read or download the
full text of the state of the state speech at http://www.migov.state.mi.us/

The remaining text is from the August 3 press release, ARE MICHIGAN'S
BEACHES SAFE?, by Clean Water Action, PIRGIM, Lake Michigan Federation, and
Rep. Callahan.

LEGAL QUALIFIER -- I AM NOT ACCOUNTABLE FOR THIS ATTEMPT TO HUMOROUSLY
COMPARE OUR GOVERNOR'S ASSESSMENT OF OUR ENVIRONMENT TO THE REALITY OF
EXCREMENT AND OTHER CRAP IN OUR WATER.

So, here goes the combination.

"A Guide to Water Quality at Vacation Beaches shows that in 1999 there were
147 days of beach closings across Michigan." (August 3 Press Release)

"YET ANOTHER AREA WHERE MICHIGAN'S PERFORMANCE HAS BEEN SUPERIOR IS THE
ENVIRONMENT." (ENGLER, 2000 State of the State Address)

"WE CELEBRATE THE FACT THAT OUR WATER, AND OUR AIR, ARE CLEANER THAN
THEY'VE BEEN SINCE MONITORING BEGAN." (ENGLER, 2000 State of the State
Address)

"Currently, Michigan does not have health standards which require closing
beaches and no mandatory testing or public notification requirements."
(August 3 Press Release)

"THE COST OF THIS ACHIEVEMENT HAS NOT BEEN CHEAP: BILLIONS OF PUBLIC AND
PRIVATE DOLLARS HAVE BEEN SPENT TO PREVENT POLLUTION AND RESTORE WATER
QUALITY." (ENGLER 2000 State of the State Address)