E-M:/ EPA Prepares to Act against Michigana Farms CAFO

 Folks:

 Sierra Club has gotten hold of a letter to the owner/operator of Michigana
 Farms near Scotts Michigan, announcing that they "will conduct an
 inspection at Michigana Farms" this week.  The purpose is to "determine
 whether Michigana Farms is a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO)
 pursuant to the Clean Water Act (CWA) and subject to regulation under the
 National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program."

 The letter goes on to say:

 "As you know, the Kalamazoo County Health Department has recently issued a
 public health advisory for the Portage River, in part due to E.coliform
 contamination as a result of ongoing discharges from your operations.  As
 a result of this advisory and the ongoing discharges, we will also be
 exploring potential remedies that can be implemented immediately to stop
 these discharges."

 This "investigation" is long overdue -- this facility has been pretty well
 documented as causing severe pollution by the Kalamazoo County Health
 Department, and the DEQ notice letter sent in July has a laundry list of
 horrifying water quality violations.  EPA should be complimented on moving
 in on this facility.

 If anyone wants additional information, let me know -- I know there are a
 lot of folks around the state already watching this facility closely.

 Anne Woiwode
 Sierra Club