E-M:/ Well Problem

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

We have a situation in our Township where wells in a certain area are going dry, or the water pressure has become so bad that the homeowner cannot run their sprinkling system and use other water at the same time.  (I know...we won't get into that issue!)

Anyway, the coincidence (??) here is that the City of Rockford recently purchased property located between these two developments in order to put down a well and provide water for their city.  They used to get water from the Rogue River and treat it.  Now they are pumping water from this well enough to service a city of about 4,000.

Has anybody had any experience with a problem like this?  Right now there are attempts to test the water to see if the City is pulling from the same aquifer that these wells are tapped into.  If it can be proven that the City is having a negative affect on these wells, is there anything these homeowners can do?

Please respond if you have any suggestions based on prior experience.  I would like to know if anything like this has ever happened anywhere in Michigan in the past.  Thanks!

Bonnie L. Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator