Subject: E-M:/ Well Problem
Author:  "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org> at Internet
Date:    8/14/00 10:55 AM

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

We have a situation in our Township where wells in a certain area are going
dry,or the water pressure has become so bad that the homeowner cannot run their
 sprinkling system and use other water at the same time.  (I know...we won't get
intothat issue!)

Anyway, the coincidence (??) here is that the City of Rockford recently purchase
d property located between these two developments in order to put down a well an
d provide water for their city.  They used to get water from the Rogue River
andtreat it.  Now they are pumping water from this well enough to service a city
 of about 4,000.

Has anybody had any experience with a problem like this?  Right now there are at
tempts to test the water to see if the City is pulling from the same aquifer tha
t these wells are tapped into.  If it can be proven that the City is having a ne
gative affect on these wells, is there anything these homeowners can do?

Please respond if you have any suggestions based on prior experience.  I would l
ike to know if anything like this has ever happened anywhere in Michigan in the
past.  Thanks!

Bonnie L. Shupe, Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator