Re: E-M:/ Well Problem

Enviro-Mich message from William Tobler <wtobler@tdi.net>

I doubt that there is anything that the citizens can do other than
launch a civil suit.  We have been told that there are no laws east of
the Mississippi on the equitable use of groundwater.  You certainly
aren't going to get a sympathetic ear from the leaders in MDEQ, who have
deliberately avoided drafting appropriate legislation to protect
citizens.

Representative Rose Bogardus has proposed legislation, but it is locked
up in
subcommittee.  See my web page http://CrittersWoods.org/OttawaLake.html
for links to this proposed legislation.

While you are there, take the time to electronically sign the Resolution
intended to address this situation.

Our problems here have been created by stone quarries pumping and
disposing of huge quantities of groundwater, probably 40 times what you
are experiencing.  It doesn't really matter whether the city taps into a
deeper aquifer, usually.  The different aquifers are usually
interconnected, if not by natural fissures, then by "cascading" wells.
A cascading well is one which interconnects two or more aquifers, and
the removal of large amounts of water from the deep aquifer causes the
one above it to simply "drain" down the borehole.  Then, the nearby
residential wells that are simply in the upper aquifer go dry.

The "pressure" problem that you mention is really a "flow" problem.  As
the homeowners try to remove more water than can be recharged, the pump
starts pumping air, not water.  Because not enough water is going into
the pressure tank, it will begin to partially empty, and its pressure
accordingly drop (the pump will be running all the time).  The pressure
will drop until the "flow" delivered to the homeowners appliances is
reduced (by lack of pressure), until the flow out equals the flow in
(from the recharge of the well).

Bill from ICAG