E-M:/ Old growth Op-ed

 Folks:

 While not into self-promotion, I did want to make sure interested folks
 saw the opinion piece co-authored by Tim Flynn and me about State Forest
 Old Growth from the August 16th issue of the Free Press.  It will be on
 their site another day or so, then if you missed it let me know and I can
 send a html or text version to you.

 Here's the site:

 http://www.freep.com/voices/columnists/ewoi16_20000816.htm

 Also, yesterday's Detroit News had a column by Tom Bray about forest fires
 in the west, attempting, not surprisingly, to blame the fires on enviros.
 Since this region of the country was a key place where we began to
 confront forest fires a century ago, it is worth noting that while forest
 fires occurred prior to the vast timber cutting and land clearing at the
 turn of the last century, the fires were the worst by far AFTER the trees
 were cut, not while the intact native forests were still standing.
 Horrifying fires raged across the lands cut by the lumber barons, with
 stories of lakes boiling and fires moving so fast they overtook trains
 trying to get out of the way. There are still charred stumps to be seen in
 the middle of US-27 north of Grayling and the Kingston Plains up near
 Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, where the soils were so badly burned
 that the normal process of decay and regrowth was brought to a virtual
 standstill. Now, the brush is starting to move in and the land is starting
 to recover, decades after the fires.

 For those interested in the REAL science about fire issues in the west, I
 can share some information compiled from scientists about the fire issues
 in the west. Let me know if you would like a copy forwarded your way.

 Anne Woiwode