E-M:/ Alaska Lands Summit - Bigger, Larger, and More Wild!

Enviro-Mich message from Jenny Allen <wmeac@bigplanet.com>

I am forwarding this to enviro-mich as it is protects our National
wilderness, which we all own.  Hope some of you can make it.  I went to one
about 3 years ago where I learnt a lot and had a heap of fun too!

Jenny Allen
West Michigan Environmental Action Council

Alaska Lands Summit  - Bigger, Larger, and More Wild!
**Register TODAY at www.alaskawild.org/ANILCA/Summit**

September 16 - 20, 2000
Washington, DC

Twenty years ago, President Jimmy Carter signed into law the Alaska National
Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA), protecting 104 million acres of
public land in Alaska as a natural legacy for future generations to
experience and enjoy.

The Alaska Coalition* is pleased to announce this September's Alaska Lands
Summit to recognize the triumphs of this monumental legislation and create a
new enthusiasm in Congress, in the Administration, and among the public for
the future of wilderness and public lands in Alaska.  We will also emphasize
the unfinished business of the Alaska Lands Act, including Wilderness
designation for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The Summit will feature:

- A reunion of some of the heroes of ANILCA - activists and staff who
contributed to the passage of this historic act - who will share their
experiences with the next generation of Alaska lands advocates;

- A chance for wilderness advocates from around the country to network and
share ideas for the future of Alaska's parks, refuges, forests, and other
public lands.

- An opportunity for participants to make history as they pound the halls of
Congress, and  to take their wilderness message all the way to the White
House;

- A focus on the importance of grassroots activism, and workshops on
effective advocacy and media techniques;

- A way to prepare the environmental community for the opportunities and
challenges Alaska's public lands will face in the next Congress and
Administration.

- A celebration of the greatest single lands conservation act in the history
of the world! And we do plan on celebrating!!!

Don't wait to let us know YOU want to come to the Alaska Lands Summit! Space
is limited. A limited number of scholarships are available. Contact Jen
Schmidt with the Alaska Coalition to request your registration packet today!
(202) 544-5205, jens@alaskawild.org or save time and paper by going directly
to www.alaskawild.org/ANILCA/Summit

*The Alaska Coalition is made up of over 400 local, state, and national
groups; including environmental and social justice groups, sportsmen groups,
and religious, civic, and native organizations; who have endorsed permanent
protection for the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge coastal plain. Member
organizations include Alaska Wilderness League, Sierra Club, The Wilderness
Society, Natural Resources Defense Council, National Parks Conservation
Association, Public Interest Research Group, World Wildlife Fund, National
Audubon Society, and Defenders of Wildlife.