E-M:/ Beach Clean Up

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Bethany Renfer -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volunteers Needed for Beach Clean-Up

For the past fifteen years, Saturday, September 16, 2000 marks an international effort to clean our planetís shorelines. In cooperation with the Center for Marine Conservation, Clean Water Fund is again the regional coordinator for all of Michiganís Eastern Shorelines.

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS AND LOCAL COORDINATORS. Clean Water Fund's goal is to blanket the Eastern shoreline with hundreds of volunteers. Itís very simple. We will provide the trash bags, pencils, and data cards. Along with all the informational pieces weíll be sending. Just show up at the beach and when you find trash, place it in the bag and mark down what it was on the data card. Thatís it. With only a few hours of effort youíll have participated in cleaning up the beach environment and helped to reduce the beach litter for the future.

As a Beach Sweep Volunteer, youíll be recording the amounts and type of debris found on the beaches. This information will be collected and sent to the Center for Marine Conservation for analysis. As patterns are found in litter debris, this information will provide an invaluable foundation to create preventative solutions to the build-up of beach litter.

We are also looking for Beach Sweep Captains. Beach Sweep Captains need only to agree to have their name listed as one of our contacts for a beach sweep, help recruit volunteers for the beach sweep (students, friends, family, etc.) and show up on Saturday, to help clean up the beach.

If you are interested in joining or for more information, please contact Bethany Renfer at (517)337-3133 or brenfer@cleanwater.org.

============================================================== ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/ Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" ==============================================================