E-M:/ More on Forest Fires

 There was a fair amount of interest in the forest fire issues I raised
 previously, so I want to refer those who are interested to the NYTimes
 opinion page today which discusses where the Clinton administration is
 heading with regard to fire policies.  This has relevance here as well as
 elsewhere in the country.

 http://www.nytimes.com/yr/mo/day/editorial/24thu2.html

 This topic is fostering lots of debate in the editorial pages and stump
 speeches throughout the country, which is why I find the NY Times piece
 particularly interesting.  One of the challenges in the midst of political
 crises is to find the BEST solution, not just the tried and true rhetoric
 of the past.  The simple message seems to be that well intentioned efforts
 to address fire through fire suppression are actually culpable for making
 what is a natural process of change through fire disturbances turn into a
 much worse problem than in the past.

 While we have been fortunate to have a relatively cool, wet year here,
 parts of Michigan are fraught with the same dilemmas as are faced in the
 areas with intense fire. For social reasons, ranging from protecting
 property to not losing timber, our state sets a goal of keeping all
 wildfires under 10 acres.  Prescribed burn is used in some areas, but has
 been attacked in the past when it got out of control, and we even saw
 ridiculous legislative proposals that would have made prescribed burn
 virtually impossible.

 As Michigan's population increasingly spreads out into forested areas,
 particularly in the fire prone jack pine areas, it is critical to have an
 intelligent, science based debate about the risks we face from this
 unplanned, exceedingly dangerous situation.  Should the government be
 responsible for people who build houses, golf courses, malls, etc. in
 places where fires can be expected to burn them down within the next
 twenty to thirty years?  Who should pay for fire protection for those who
 have taken on that risk for personal reasons (right now state taxpayers
 do)? We no longer allow people to build in floodplains for many of the
 same reasons that exist in fire prone areas, but our zoning and building
 codes do nothing like what is required in flood plain areas to raise the
 standards for protection of property and life.

 Anne Woiwode