Re: E-M:/ Insect Invasion at Comerica Park

Enviro-Mich message from Timothy Killeen <timk@bikerider.com>

One and all,

Here's another take. I'm a biologist but not an entomologist so take my
comments with a little grain of salt.
I was at the game a thoroughly enjoyed the swarm, at least they were not the
biting varities. Ant colonies will respond to environmental cues to disperse
and found new colonies. I would suspect that something like one of the
following has occured in their niche. Perhaps it has been a good year for
these ants and they are suffering too much crowding in their population.
Perhaps with the unusual summer weather their food source has not been good
and they need to move. Perharps another ant species has moved in on their
niche and they had to move on. Any stresses on their population like I have
mentioned would result in hormonal changes that would lead to the production
of fertile winged males and some extra queens. I noticed as I sat there that
there were were some larger ants in among the swarm that I took as potential
queens. Insect populations swarm as part of their normal business. I would
not necessarily look for anything sinister in this particular swarming. The
fact that the Detroit College of Law used to occupy the site wouldn't have
anything to do with this, would it?
If there is an entomologist in the house I would love to hear your take on
this.

Tim