E-M:/ Who needs facts?

In an Editorial about the forest fires in the west on Saturday Aug. 26, the
Detroit News makes the astonishing statement that National Forests banned
commercial timber sales in the 1940's.  Specifically, here are the
sentences leading to this claim:

"In the `40s, the service created Smokey Bear, the shovel-clutching cartoon
character, reminding Americans vacationing in national parks to leave no
fire unsnuffed. It also banned commercial logging. All of this led to the
uninhibited growth of highly inflammable brush."

Then after revisiting one of their favorite "beat up the Clinton Admin"
topics, the out of control controlled burn in New Mexico this year, they
say "Thus, at this stage, the most cost-effective, safe and expeditious way
of returning forests to ecologically healthy densities would be by allowing
some commercial logging."

I ain't making it up -- here's the full story:

http://www.detnews.com/EDITPAGE/0008/26/1edit/1edit.htm

No question, they are right that Smokey is an unwitting participant in the
conflagration brought about by an astonishing drought and fire suppression
policies of the last 100 years.  However, as lots of folks I know who write
comments on timber sales on National Forests everyday will attest, there
are in fact still a lot of commercial timber sales on our National Forests
today.  It certainly would have saved a lot of people time and effort
commenting on timber sales over the last 50+ years if the News was right,
and the McKinney Leach Bill to ban commercial harvest on National Forests
would have been superfluous.

I am increasingly astonished at just how unimportant simple facts seem to
be to arguments about management of our forests. We heard the same baloney
in the Legislature during the arguments over the timber mandate -- people
who because of their jobs definitely know better claiming that there is no
logging on National Forests today.  And the astonishing thing is, one visit
to a website at most National Forests would show that, in fact, they
continue to propose and carry off timber sales today.

But unless the Detroit News has somehow reclassified its editorial pages as
fiction (which a lot of folks might argue should have happened a long time
ago) this editorial is way out of line.

Anne Woiwode