FW: E-M:/ Land & Water Conservation Fund

Enviro-Mich message from "Tom & Anne Woiwode" <woiwode@voyager.net>

This message was sent yesterday by Jack Smiley.  I want to offer a little
local perspective.  Peter McKeever, the author of Jack's message, has been
responsible for organizing support for the Conservation and Reinvestment Act
(CARA) in the midwestern and Great Lakes states (roughly 12 states).  The
messages regarding CARA have been sent to only a handful of interested
parties in Michigan, simply because there has been a remarkable lack of
interest in this issue coming out of this state, this despite the fact that
Congressman John Dingell is one of the co-sponsors of the House version.  In
fact, in virtually all of the other states in which Peter is coordinating
interest in this issue, over 200 organizations per state have signed on to
support this initiative.

In Iowa, 266 organizations have publicly supported it.  In Michigan, exactly
3 organizations have signed on--and 2 of them are tribal organizations.

For those unfamiliar with the legislation, it will fully fund the Land and
Water Conservation program, and will bring approximately $60 million in
federal funds into Michigan annually for conservation purposes.

It passed the House approximately 315-100, and has over 50 Senate
co-sponsors.  It has a chance to pass this year.  Take a close look at this
legislation, and if appropriate, provide your organizational support.
Michigan will benefit.

Tom Woiwode
5088 Powell Road
Okemos, MI  48864